Employment History & Positions Held
Administrative Positions Held
Long Term Academic Visits Abroad
Awards & Honors
List of Publications
Other Professional Activities
Short Biography of Okyay Kaynak
Okyay Kaynakreceived the B.Sc. degree with first class honors and Ph.D. degrees in electronic and electrical engineering from the University of Birmingham, UK, in 1969 and 1972 respectively.
From 1972 to 1979, he held various positions within the industry that included 3.5 years in Saudi Arabia, working as a project engineer. In 1979, he joined the Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey, where he is presently a Full Professor. He has served as the Chairman of the Computer Engineering and the Electrical and Electronic Engineering Departments and as the Director of Biomedical Engineering Institute at this university. Currently, he is the UNESCO Chair on Mechatronics and the Director of Mechatronics Research and Application Centre. He has hold long-term (near to or more than a year) Visiting Professor/Scholar positions at various institutions in Japan, Germany, U.S., Singapore and China. His current research interests are in the fields of intelligent control and mechatronics. He has authored three books, edited five and authored or coauthored more than 400 papers that have appeared in various journals, books and conference proceedings.
Dr. Kaynak is a fellow of IEEE. He is or has served on the Editorial or Advisory Boards of a number of scholarly journals. Currently he is an Associate Editor of IEEE Sensors Journal, and IEEE Trans. on Industrial Informatics, and the incoming Editor-in-Chief of IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics.
Dr. Kaynak is active in internationally organizations, has served on many committees of IEEE and was the president of IEEE Industrial Electronics Society during 2002-2003. He received IEEE Third Millennium Medal (2000), IEEE/IES Anthony J. Hornfeck Service Award (2005) and IEEE/IES Dr.-Ing. Eugene Mittelman Achievement Award (2011). He has recently been awarded the prestigious Qianren (1000 Talents Program) professorship at Harbin Institute of Technology, China.
- Courses and research program leading to Ph. D. degree in Electronic and Electrical Engineering at University of Birmingham, Birmingham, U.K., 1969-72.
- B.Sc. course at Electronic and Electrical Engineering Dept. of University of Birmingham, Birmingham, U.K., 1966-69 (Graduation : Honours, Class I).
- Advanced Level General Certificate of Education Courses at North Western Polytechnic, London, U.K., 1965-66.
- Intelligent Control
- Advanced Motion Control
- Soft Computing
- Information Technology in Mechatronics
- Name: Mustafa Okyay Kaynak
- Born: 19 April 1948, Afyon / Turkey
- Marital Status: Married and has a daughter