Employment History & Positions Held
Administrative Positions Held
Long Term Academic Visits Abroad
Awards & Honors
List of Publications
Other Professional Activities
Short Biography of Okyay Kaynak
Okyay Kaynakreceived the B.Sc. degree with first class honors and Ph.D. degrees in
electronic and electrical engineering from the University of Birmingham, UK, in 1969
and 1972 respectively.
From 1972 to 1979, he held various positions within the industry that included 3.5 years
in Saudi Arabia, working as a project engineer. In 1979, he joined the Department of
Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey, where he
is presently a Full Professor. He has served as the Chairman of the Computer Engineering
and the Electrical and Electronic Engineering Departments and as the Director of
Biomedical Engineering Institute at this university. Currently, he is the UNESCO Chair
on Mechatronics and the Director of Mechatronics Research and Application Centre. He
has hold long-term (near to or more than a year) Visiting Professor/Scholar positions at
various institutions in Japan, Germany, U.S. and Singapore. His current research interests
are in the fields of intelligent control and mechatronics. He has authored three books and
edited five and authored or coauthored more than 300 papers that have appeared in
various journals, books and conference proceedings.
Dr. Kaynak is a fellow of IEEE. He is or has served on the Editorial or Advisory Boards
of a number of scholarly journals. Currently he is a Co-Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE
Transactions on Industrial Electronics and an Associate Editor of IEEE Sensors Journal
and IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics.
Dr. Kaynak is active in internationally organizations, has served on many committees of
IEEE and was the president of IEEE Industrial Electronics Society during 2002-2003 and
Vice-President (for Conferences) of Computational Intelligence Society during 2004-
- Courses and research program leading to Ph. D. degree in Electronic and Electrical Engineering at University of Birmingham, Birmingham, U.K., 1969-72.
- B.Sc. course at Electronic and Electrical Engineering Dept. of University of Birmingham, Birmingham, U.K., 1966-69 (Graduation : Honours, Class I).
- Advanced Level General Certificate of Education Courses at North Western Polytechnic, London, U.K., 1965-66.
- Intelligent Control
- Advanced Motion Control
- Soft Computing
- Information Technology in Mechatronics
- Name: Mustafa Okyay Kaynak
- Born: 19 April 1948, Afyon / Turkey
- Marital Status: Married and has a daughter